Mabel Callahan Galu ’59

Hi to all fellow Ladycliff grads. My name is Mabel Callahan Galu, class of ’59. I am the so called “keeper of the keys” to the Ladycliff PO Box. All of your mail passes through my hands and I am always grateful for any new updates of names and addresses of LC grads. I do my best to add to the “lost” names and addresses and update my files. Sadly I have had to delete old addresses when our luncheon letters come back “return to sender”, address unknown”. There are always many returns. Our little band of the Board of Trustees work very hard every year to organize the Luncheon, and get the letters out to the Alumnae Association members. In fact our first luncheon planning meeting will be held on October 20th at the Red Oak Diner in Fort Lee, NJ. (We work well when we talk and eat) All are welcome to attend. We would love to have new faces and ideas. Just give a call if you are free to join us. We are always so grateful when new names can be added to our list. We have very little info on the class years of the 50’s,(ESPECIALLY ’59) the late ’70’s & 80’S. I am also asking if anyone has any information concerning a ’54 graduate by the name of Ann Pace. I received a letter from an old friend of hers who wants to renew their friendship. If anyone has any info about her married name, address or whereabouts, I would appreciate you getting in touch with me so I can forward on this information. Finally, if you have any new addresses of any graduates they can send it on to the LC PO box 104, Highland Falls, NY 10928, or use the Contact Us page of this web site. My congratulations to Linda Buzzeo Best on her work with this site. I hope all grads will make use of this procedure. Best regards to all. In the spirit of Ladycliff–Mabel Callahan Galu ’59.

Have any Question or Comment?

13 comments on “Mabel Callahan Galu ’59

Wilson Lee

[Forwarded to Linda Best 2/12/19]

Good Evening, I am doing some research on my family and my mother, Monique Peignat attended and graduated some time between 1948 and 51. She immigrated from France and resided after graduating and married. She resided in Mountainville NY. Since she deceased in 2009 I have been attempting to gain any information on any former classmates of hers who may still be alive.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated,

Respectfully,
Wilson Lee

contentadmin

Hello Wilson,
I apologize for the delay in replying to your mail to the Ladycliff site regarding your family research. I’m gathering my thoughts about resources that may be useful and will be in touch with information before the end of the week.
Sincerely, Linda Best, Ladycliff 72, lindabest@aol.com

Paul M. Janicke

[Forwarded to Linda Best 2/12/19]

Mabel — I was with the Manhattan College glee club when we performed many Christmas programs with Ladycliff. I graduated in 1961. I have often wondered what became of some of the Ladycliff singers I knew. I saw an announcement that Barbara Macaglie ’61 passed away a few years ago. But nothing about Ellen Schickle ’61, who was president of the glee club; or Peggy ____ Gibson ’62 who followed her; or Pat Streb ’63. Can you let me know?

Many thanks.

Paul Janicke [now Professor of Law, University of Houston Law Center]

Clementine C Miller

Need to change my address. LB sent to Dottie, 6/19/19

Clementine Miller (Clem)
8021 North 64th Place
Paradise Valley, Arizona 85253

Former address was 9985N78th Place Scottsdale AZ

contentadmin

I’m glad to know the website provided the information you needed. Please don’t hesitate to post any questions you have. LB, 72

Kathy Stinson Buchanan

How do we get a copy of Linda Best’s book about Ladycliff?

contentadmin

Hi Kathy, Thank you for your interest in my book. I have a few copies remaining. If you’re still interested, please email me at lindabest@aol.com

Joan Moffett

I am a graduate of Ladycliff, class of ’68, and have wondered over the years about what happened to the nuns after the college closed, i.e. know they moved to Peekskill, but that’s about all. My maiden name was Monaghan. I’ve not kept in touch with anyone over the years, basically, due to physical distance (first Germany, British section) & then to AZ, where I’ve lived most of my life. Grew up in NJ, but have only returned there when my parents were alive (now deceased 41 & 38 years ago). My former roommate, Mary Sabina Berthinet passed away last year, as did Kathy O’Rourke (from a neighboring town to Livingston, NJ, where I grew up. I wonder if there is any way to find photos of the nuns from ’64-’68, whom I would have known; not that any would be alive now, but they were good teachers, which is so important, especially these days – Tucson is certainly lacking in good teachers. I spent all of my life in Catholic schools K-Ladycliff with different orders: Sisters of Charity, Dominicans, and of course, Franciscans. I learned a great deal from those dedicated women & am always appreciative of the education I received.
It was nice finding your page and I commend your efforts and those of others to have kept the school “alive” in our minds & hearts. Thank you! Joan Moffett, Tucson, AZ.

contentadmin

Hi Joan, It’s nice to hear from you and read your reflections and memories about Ladycliff as well as your Catholic education, which is similar to my own. The sisters who taught us at LC (I’m class of 72) were wonderful. The sisters attend the annual luncheon each. A few of our sisters are living and the new generation are interested in us because they know the Ladycliff story. Regarding photos and info about the sisters, a lot is on display at the Highlands Historical Society in Highland Falls, you can learn about the sisters through their website http://www.fmscusa.org/history.html, and also important – there’s a team currently developing a plan for a new LC Alumnae Website. One of the features we propose is a gallery of faculty and staff photos through the year. Please let me know if there’s anyway I can assist you further. Sincerely, Linda Best You can reach me at this site or by emailing me a lindabest@aol.com

Maureen Velez

My mother Marjorie McCarthy Brode, Class of 1954 is looking for contact information for Dorothea Kuebler and Claire Dunphy. They all graduated together in 1954. If anyone has information, please contact me. Thank you in advance.

Ms Melanie

Hi Maureen,
My name is Ms Melanie, and my Brother and I were both Students of Dorothea’s in North Babylon ny, though 10 years apart. What I know about Claire is that sadly Claire Dunphy passed away on October 7, 2017. We are wanting to get in touch with Dorothea, so if you have any information for her could you please let us know. Thanks so much, Ms Melanie

Kathleen Carpenter

Hi. I attended Ladycliff from Sept 70 until June of 71. I would be interested in alumni news and maybe reconnecting with some on my classmates who would have graduated in 1974.
I would also like information on how to join your Alumni Association.
Thank you.
Kathy (Kathleen Bummara) Carpenter

contentadmin

Hi Kathleen, thank you for your interest in reconnecting with classmates who graduated in 1974. Most classes maintain a directory and I’d be happy to check on that for you provided you reply to this email and authorize me to turn your name and email address to whoever oversees 74. This is a formality as we don’t share / distribute contact information without permission. Looking forward to hearing from you. This is a great time to reconnect with LC because we’ll be redesigning the current website in the months ahead to facilitate connections. Regards, Linda Best, Ladycliff 72.